This group is for researchers of ancestors from Pomerania (German: Pommern). There are very few genealogy groups dedicated to this former/current state in Germany. Former because after WWII in 1945 all of Pommern, east of the line formed by the Oder and Neisse Rivers, was transferred to Poland by the Allied powers. Current because the small part of the land area of Pommern, which lay west of the line, is now merged and called Mecklenburg- Vorpommern.
A membership in the Pommern Regional Group has these benefits:
- A Surname list on the PRG website helps members find other family researchers.
- PRG program presentations are available to view anytime in the members-only section.
- Many, many photos from Pommern are on the website.
- There are links to many helpful genealogy research websites.
- Members share research data and methods.
- There is a sharing of European contacts.
- Help is availabe to locate villages, cities and Kreise (counties) on maps.
- Programs are given on Pommern genealogy and history, German research in general, and German culture and traditions.
- PRG membership gives free entry to the MGS Library. The MGS Library is a Family Search affiliate, which allows for viewing of many restricted LDS microfilms.
- Books are available for research on the PRG library cart during meetings.
Pommern research materials are in the Minnesota Genealogical Society (MGS) and Concordia University-St. Paul libraries.
Usually, there are monthly meetings with presentations at MGS. Recently some meetings have been virtual.
PRG is an affiliate of the Germanic Genealogy Society
and welcomed at its programs. As an affiliate, a PRG representative sits on the MGS Partner Committee meetings and the GGS Board meetings.
PRG shares information and sometimes programs with Pommern research groups in Wisconsin and California.
PRG was one of the founding members of the IGGP
, the International German Genealogy Partnership. As a member, we have access to this group’s many resources.
If you have made a decision to join our group you can do so online